Supporting the EC vision in the Americas
In 2007 we purchased the Europe Center.
Now we're ready to finish what we started.
What is the Europe Center?
- A face for Diamond Way worldwide and a seat for our teacher Lama Ole.
- A place where Buddhists from all cultures connect and inspire each other.
- A home for courses, from cozy retreats and transmission weekends to the massive Summer Courses.
- A gift to future generations so they meet the authentic and precious methods of the Diamond Way.
The project has four main parts – constructing a new building for residents, guests, and seminars; reconstructing the barn to create a new big gompa and a huge common kitchen with a dinning room; and finally building a new working area and reshaping several outside areas. The construction itself adds up to over 4200 m2 of buildings and the outside landscaping projects will cover some 3000 m2 of land.
In the planned 600 square-meter gompa with the capacity to fit 1,000 people, one will always find a place to practice. Medium-size meditation events like 8th Karmapa retreats can be comfortably held year-round with no need for tents.
The EC lays bedrock for Kagyu Buddhism in the West just as the Tsurphu monastery grounded the lineage in Tibet for 900 years. Building on our social and political freedoms, the EC preserves dharma everywhere while instilling Buddhist values in our own cultures.
This project expands the scope of EC programming like the Transmission Weekends, Country Weekends and Summer Courses, and opens creative space for ever more ways to practice and pass on the precious Diamond Way teachings.
As the EC continues to develop, Lama Ole spends on ever great portion of his time there. With the ability to put up more guests, we give everyone more chances to share time with the Lama.
'Welcome home!' is the greeting for guests at the EC. Not only will short and long-term guests enjoy more space for practice and work, but with our expansion we can offer a more comfortable home for Karmapa, Sharmapa and our other distinguished guests.
The EC is among the most significant Buddhist undertakings in the West. On top of more space for pactice, a new EC building will house our Diamond Way archives, a Buddhist library, and perhaps a permanent statue exhibition.
Go deeper and learn more about the Europe Center project
- The main MoreEC website has timelines, goals, and more details about the expansion project.
- Visit The Europe Center's website to learn what the Europe Center is and what is happening there.
- The Americas are supporting MoreEC. For more about how the Americas are working together, visit The Americas Project website.